Monday, October 3, 2011

My first week...

Hello everybody! I have now been in South Asia for over week, which is crazy! It has been a good week, but quite the adjustment. Life here is just much different than anything I have encountered before...in a good way. For instance the decorations. Let me give you a taste of some pretty awesome decorations. 



I'm kidding... while the decorations are special, there are many differences that are much more obvious. For example: the horns never stop honking, my room usually smells like curry, and there are people that sleep on the street that I live on. This new culture is a constant adventure and I never know what I may encounter when I leave my apartment. Speaking of my apartment let me show you around.

My cute little room! Be sure to notice the frog hamper in the corner (it's a proud purchase I made at the bazaar).


My lovely bathroom...I just figured you were a little curious. Am I right?

Living room. If you are wondering the fabric on the couches/chairs is indeed velvet.  We will be hanging things on our wall very soon. We just have to find those things.

Our stove :-)

The kitchen.

Laundry room! Whoop whoop. See my editing?

And the dining room.


 My apartment is pretty wonderful. My roommates are awesome and have made the transition so much easier than it could have been without them. I will post pictures of them as soon as I have them in 
possession. The icing on top of the cake is that we are a 5 minute walk from the office. It is so convenient!

Before I ramble for much longer than needed, let me tell you one of the weirdest sights I have seen thus far. I was on the way to the dentist with my roommate, Kyleigh, the other day (she had to get her wisdom teeth out two weeks ago) and we saw a man riding his bicycle. The weird part about this is that he had child sleeping on the wheel well of his back tire and he had another child who he had connected to a leash running behind the bike. I hope you truly try to imagine this image in your head, because it was WEIRD. I was thinking "well that's one way of keeping track of your children...or setting them up for some road rash." Random story, I know.

Just in case you were curious, I AM going to a cricket match tomorrow. I can't even imagine what this experience will look like, but I know it will be an adventure. Leaving the apartment always is.

I hope all is well for those of you back in the homeland! I think and pray for many of you often. I also hope my blog wasn't too much of a bore for you...

5 comments:

  1. So great to hear from you! Wish you had a picture of the three people "on" the bike! You are missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rae! This place sounds PERFECT for you! Ha I love the update- definitely NOT a bore =] I agree with Todd- you are missed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love reading your posts and seeing your photos... It takes us there. We are praying for you and love you so much! Mike, Christy, Rich and Dylan Capps

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel--I'm impressed with your editing.(It took me a minute to figure it out :)) Blessings-Sue Crum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel- FOUND the blog! yah:) I'm so excited to be a stalker of it! The transition is much easier with others and I'm happy you have roommates to debrief with each day...hopefully!?! Praying for you, xoxo sarah:)

    ReplyDelete