Monday, August 27, 2012

See you later, South Asia


(this was written about 10 days ago...sorry for my laziness)

I’m currently sitting on a train on my way to Germany. Let me tell you…this train is significantly different than any train I’ve been on in the past 11 months. This is the train I have become accustomed to:
Just a little crowded.
This is the train that I’m on:

Luxury
Bascially, I’m undergoing some serious culture shock. I was walking around Brussels yesterday and no one was looking at me. I know longer stand out in a crowd. It’s really bizarre. I’m finding that India and Europe have very few things in common and my brain doesn’t really know how to respond.
I’m sorry that it has taken me so long to update my blog. I was having a hard time processing the fact that I was leaving this job that I had dreamed about for years and not only that, but leaving people that I have come to love so dearly. Therefore, I processed as little as possible in order to stay emotionally stable. Sounds healthy, right? It’s ok, I’ve had 4 days of Rachel time. Yes, I’m desperately missing people, but this time alone has been really good as I’ve just been able to pray and prepare for going home. I’m strangely already missing the insanity of living in India. I’ve decided to make a list of things that I will miss and things that I really won’t miss at all.

We will start with things I will miss.

1.)   The people. Not every person…there are many strange people that I encountered daily on the streets that I truly won’t miss, BUT I got to know some truly amazing people this year. I would go so far to say that I became friends with some modern day heroes. My co-workers are truly changing the world and I believe if you asked many of our clients who their heroes were, they would probably name someone in my office. I’m already missing my office! It’s only been a week, but I sure do miss them. I also made some pretty stellar friends outside of the office, but I need to stop rambling before I lose your attention.
My precious team.

2.)   The excitement. Every time I left my apartment I could count on something weird happening. This is a very entertaining way to live life.
3.)   The food. Yes, believe it or not, I will miss Indian food. Have you had butter chicken masala before? If your answer is no, immediately get up from you computer and go to your nearest Indian restaurant. You won’t regret it. I was also miss the cost of food. America is about to shock me.
4.)   The brokenness. Everywhere I would go around the city, I would encounter the brokenness of the world and immediately be reminded of our desperate need for a Savior. India does not try to hide its brokenness, which is something America is really good at. It’s so much easier to pretend you have everything together, right? WRONG. It’s so freeing to openly be broken.

5.)   The life of the city. I was walking down the streets in Brussels yesterday and felt like I was walking through a ghost town. One time, I didn’t see another human for 5 minutes. It was so creepy! India would never allow that. It used to overwhelm me to always be surrounded by people, then I found comfort in it. Indians find so much joy in community...I love that.
6.)   Tender coconuts. Oh the joy of drinking a coconut as I walk down the road.
7.)   My fruit and vegetable stand. I just love fresh produce and my friends who work behind the counter.
8.)   Ideal Beach. Never a disappointment.

9.)   The train. You just see some really entertaining people…there is NEVER a dull moment on the train.


Things I won’t miss:

1.)   I’ve said this before and I will say it again…I WILL NOT MISS EASTERN TOILETS. It’s only been in the past few months that I’ve found this utter disdain for them, but it happened. American knees are just not made for them. Too much information? Maybe, but it’s the truth.
2.)   Men peeing on the road at all times. Enough said.
3.)   The smells. There are just a lot of really bad smells. A lot of that probably has to do with #2. When the world is your toilet, the roads/rivers/sidewalks/everthing outside starts smelling.
4.)   Only drinking bottled water. I really miss sticking my face in the faucet.
5.)   Cockroachs popping up out of my drain. My heart rate would shoot up every time. It would usually result in me calling my mom or dad for moral support. Constantly watching out for cockroaches, rats, spiders, etc is just no fun.. I will miss the cows and goats on the side of the road though…and even a few street dogs that I have come to love.

6.)   Wearing pants in the 502 degree weather. I can’t wait to give my shoulders and knees some air! Whoo hoo!
7.)   Regularly vomiting. It’s just unnerving to regularly throw up for no apparent reason. It’s been like 3 weeks though…maybe even 4! Go Rachel!

I'm currently back in Tulsa trying to figure out what's next! The only direction I have for the next 3 months is that I have many weddings to attend. That's the extent of my knowledge. 






No comments:

Post a Comment